When you’re on vacation mode, sometimes that can mean that you’re ignoring those important self-care activities that you do a better job at when you’re at home.
While I think it’s totally okay to do and eat whatever the heck you want while traveling, sometimes making an effort to do a few things for your self-betterment. Just because you’re on vacation mode, doesn’t mean you can’t add in some healthy things without depriving yourself of the local fun!
I feel so much better when I have a little me-time or some version of a routine in place, and make a couple of healthy choices while enjoying a new adventure. Like everything, it’s a balance!
So if you’re looking to add some self-care to your summer travels, we’ve got you covered on everything from your packing list to your plane ride to when you are enjoying your destination.
Here’s a list of self-care activities you can add to your travel itinerary:
- Pack a comfortable pillow or neck support for the plane or long car rides.
- Bring your favorite book or download an audiobook to enjoy during your travels.
- Bring a journal to write about your experiences.
- Take time to stretch and do some light yoga or exercise.
- Wear comfortable and breathable clothing. And pack comfortable shoes!
- Stay hydrated by bringing a refillable water bottle.
- Use SPF to protect your skin from the sun.
- Wear a hat or sunglasses to protect your face and eyes.
- Take breaks and rest when you need to.
- Bring your own snacks to keep you fueled and satisfied.
- Practice deep breathing or meditation to help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Listen to calming music or your comfort podcasts.
- Use noise-canceling headphones to block out unwanted noise.
- Take a warm bath or shower to relax after a long day of travel.
- Use a sleep mask or earplugs to help you sleep better.
- Take a break from technology and enjoy the scenery around you.
- Take a nap if you need to catch up on sleep.
- Practice good hygiene by washing your hands regularly and carrying hand sanitizer.
- Take a morning hot girl walk to get coffee, or plan a hike to explore your destination.
- Treat yourself to a massage or spa treatment.
- Visit a local farmer’s market or grocery store to buy fresh and healthy food.
- Stay connected with loved ones back home through video chat or social media.
- Learn about the culture and history of your destination.
- Take a cooking class to learn how to prepare local cuisine.
- Use a travel pillow to make sleeping in unfamiliar beds more comfortable.
- Pack a small first aid kit with essential items like bandaids and pain relievers.
- Carry a small bag with you for day trips or excursions.
- Take a break from alcohol or limit your intake.
- Keep a positive attitude and remain flexible if things don’t go as planned.
- Take a break from social media and enjoy the present moment.
- Use aromatherapy to help you relax or sleep better.
- Bring a reusable tote bag for shopping or carrying items.
- Take a break from work and truly be OOO while you’re on vacation.
- Get plenty of rest before and after your travels.
- Keep a travel journal to document your experiences, or write it out on your Notes app.
- Treat yourself to a special souvenir or gift. Bonus points if you collect something from all your destinations.
- Take a dip in the pool or ocean to cool off.
- Use a travel-friendly skincare routine to keep your skin looking healthy.
- Practice gratitude and appreciate the opportunity to travel.
- Take a day off from being on the go with sightseeing and relax by the pool or beach.
- If you have it, take advantage of hotel amenities like fitness centers and spas.
- Enjoy the journey and have fun!
Up next: Sometimes it’s not possible to totally log off while you’re traveling, so here’s a blog with workcation tips if you’re running a biz while traveling!
What will you takeaway from this self-care list for your next vacation?