There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Few of life’s great activities are more stimulating to the imagination than traveling. So, travel experiences naturally inspire journal writing.
In fact, one of the best ways to capture your memories is to create a daily habit where you jot down your thoughts about events of the day, the people you’ve met, and the amazing sights you’ve seen.
So with that in mind, in this article we provide 45 travel journal prompts that can help spark your imagination. But first, let’s answer a specific question that you might have.
Why Should You Use Travel Journal Prompts?
Journaling is a mentally freeing practice. For travelers, it’s great for inspiration, for sharing information with others, and for looking back on your trips and having a chronicle of what you did.
You can just spontaneously pick up your journal and sprawl down thoughts of the moment across page after page, or you might prefer some more structured ways of journaling.
However you approach it, journal writing can be a highly rewarding method of documenting your experiences and expressing your views and ideas. Seeing your inner life mirrored on the pages of your journal makes it a naturally effective self-development tool.
When it comes to traveling, journal prompts can be sentences or phrases designed to trigger inspiration to pursue topics for journal writing.
Writing prompts like those on the list below can remind you of a meaningful experience at a particular place or time that you will enjoy writing about. The prompts can cause you to go down paths in your writing that you might not otherwise have taken.
An exploratory range of journaling prompts can provide a veritable travel guide through your memories, and expose your psychological and emotional responses to so many travel experiences as well as others that might not have been previously accessible to you at such internal depths.
These prompts are designed to lead the thinker to provide life lessons in different ways. That activity can strengthen the agility of the mind and the ability to reach solutions and more ideally manage one’s personal happiness — the ultimate inner destination in journaling.
45 Travel Journal Prompts
There are journaling prompts to help trigger thought streams for writing on just about any topic you can name. There are also endless numbers of useful generic journal writing prompts available on the world wide web.
But, for help generating journal writing topics specific to travelinghere are some prompts tailored to lead into writing on your adventures:
- One of the most amazing places I’ve ever been was ________.
- One of the most exciting things I’ve ever seen was ________.
- When I was travelling through ________, on my way to ________, I was fascinated by ________.
- I once spent what I thought would be a relaxing vacation in ________.
- It’s considered risky to go there, but visiting ________ was an extraordinary experience.
- I’ll never forget the feeling of standing at the edge of ________.
- It was shocking to see right before my eyes, ________.
- All around me, there were ________.
- It was an epic adventure going to ________.
- I was frightened at the thought of it, but I’m very glad I ________.
- Few things have given me as big an adrenalin rush as ________.
- It seems crazy looking back on it now, but we ________
- One of the most breathtaking sights I’ve ever seen was ________.
- One of the times I was most lost was in ________.
- Being in ________ was a true culture shock.
- Navigating the subway in _____ was an strange odyssey.
- Many of the locals were skeptical of foreign travelers at ________.
- One of my favorite beaches is the U.S. is ________.
- When I went to ________ during the annual ________ event, and it was unbelievable.
- There are so many incredible museums and galleries in ________.
- One of my favorite museums in the world is the ________ in ________ (city).
- I didn’t speak the language, but fortunately many people in ________ speak English.
- I was most impressed with the vastness of ________.
- The many stunning statues added to the special atmosphere of ________ (city).
- The wildest public party scene I’ve ever seen was definitely in ________ (city).
- Seeing such deep poverty juxtaposed to such conspicuous wealth shocked the senses.
- The whole area of ________ (region) was teeming with wildlife.
- The customs of social interaction in ________ (city) required me to ________.
- It was surreal staring into the gaping mouth of the cave.
- The people of ________ were so welcoming and charming.
- The panorama had a mystical quality.
- the desert stretched as far as the eye could see.
- Suddenly, for the first time, I beheld a ________ in the wild.
- There’s nothing really quite like gazing out over the ocean.
- Crossing the border at ________ is its own adventure.
- ________ is one of those areas where finding edible food becomes a major focus.
- The pictures of it can’t portray the immensity of ________.
- Spending time out on the water was a highlight of the journey.
- There was so much to see, it was hard to decide where to start.
- Hiking in the ________ mountains was an especially satisfying challenge.
- Standing beneath that massive, powerful waterfall was thrilling.
- Exploring ________ revealed wonders all around us.
- Being in ________ was very different than I expected.
- If I could go back to only one destination, I think it would be ________.
- For unforgettable music, food, and atmosphere, ________ is the perfect spot.
Final Thoughts on Travel Journal Prompts
Memories of travel often grow even more significant over time and can be deeply satisfying to write about.
Writing prompts that are specific to travel experience afford you a vast array of journaling options any time you want to pick up your journal and start writing.
Moreover, maintaining a journal can be a great way to re-live your fondest travel memories. Many years after a trip, you can review a travel journal to remember the sights, sounds, and people you’ve met.
And if you’re looking for more prompts, be sure to check out these articles: