There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
We can all be slapdash with things now and then. Maybe, because we’re in a hurry and just need to get things done. Or, because we’re tired and really can’t be bothered.
It’s human nature to want an easy life; to cut a few corners here and there. And even bend the rules occasionally.
But, as you’ve no doubt already discovered, those shortcuts are really just dead ends. And rather than sprinting to the finish, they’ll leave you retracing your steps and starting over.
It’s always easier to do things right the first time; to put the hard work in from the word go. And, if you need support to do that, these effort quotes will help provide it.
Have you ever driven that extra mile, just to get a milkshake? Not just an ordinary milkshake, but one that’s thick and creamy and leaves you full ‘til dinner.
What about getting up at 3 a.m. and heading over to the beach to watch the sunrise? It’s incredible, breathtaking. And totally worth that lingering tired feeling that no amount of coffee can shake.
It’s true – when we want to have, or see, or do something, we’re more than happy to push ourselves. To jump through hoops to make it happen. And embrace the high that comes from it.
But, unfortunately, not everything in life offers that kind of fulfillment.
Let’s face it; no one really gets excited about taking the garbage out. And very few people get that sense of victory from having to work late and miss out on plans.
We begrudge the everyday tasks; the chores and the never-ending to-do list. And, quite often, as the excitement goes down, so do our effort levels.
It’s understandable. But it’s important to remember that even in these seemingly insignificant tasks, there is an opportunity for growth and accomplishment.
That might be at home when you have to dig deep and find some motivation to do the laundry. Not a fun chore, but better that than a stained shirt the next day.
Or it might be at work when you’re asked to stay on for an extra hour to get the project finished. There’ll be a million and one things you’d rather be doing (including the laundry) but come your next appraisal, your hard work will be noted.
Making that extra effort won’t always be fun, or exciting, or filled with chocolate milkshake. But by staying committed and pushing through those less desirable tasks, you can achieve anything you put your mind to.
Work hard. Stay strong. And check out these effort quotes for a burst of inspiration.
- “Hard work always pays off, whatever you do.” – Dustin Lynch
- “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” – Walt Disney
- “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” – Tim Notke, basketball coach
- “At the end of the day, you can’t control the results; you can only control your effort level and your focus.” – Ben Zobrist
- “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” – Francis of Assisi
Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” – Francis of Assisi
- “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead 20 years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” – Diana Ross
- “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” – First
- “Dreams are lovely. But they are dreams. Fleeting, ephemeral, pretty. But dreams do not come true just because you dream them. It’s hard work that makes things happen. It’s hard work that creates change.” – Shonda Rhimes
- “Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.” – Gail Devers
- “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
- “You can’t get there by bus, only by hard work and risk and by not quite knowing what you’re doing. What you’ll discover will be wonderful. What you’ll discover will be yourself.” -Alan Alda
- “Whenever I feel bad, I use that feeling to motivate me to work harder. I only allow myself one day to feel sorry for myself. When I’m not feeling my best, I ask myself, ‘What are you going to do about it?’ I use the negativity to fuel the transformation into a better me.” – Beyoncé Knowles
- “Preparation for tomorrow is hard work today.” – Bruce Lee
- “I never viewed myself as particularly talented. Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening work ethic. You know, while the other guy’s sleeping, I’m working.” – Will Smith
- “I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Work harder than you think you did yesterday.” – Alex Elle
- “All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” – Calvin Coolidge
- “The only thing standing between you and outrageous success is continuous progress.” – Dan Waldschmidt
- “Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognize them.” – Ann Landers
- “Nothing will work unless you do.” – Maya Angelou
- “Worrying gets you nowhere. If you turn up worrying about how you’re going to perform, you’ve already lost. Train hard, turn up, run your best and the rest will take care of itself.” – Usain Bolt
Worrying gets you nowhere. If you turn up worrying about how you’re going to perform, you’ve already lost. Train hard, turn up, run your best and the rest will take care of itself.” – Usain Bolt
- “Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.” – Napoleon Hill
- “I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges.” – Pat Riley
- “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” – Colin Powell
- “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time.” – Steve Jobs, co-Founder of Apple Inc.
- “You never know what’s around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you’ve climbed a mountain.” – Tom Hiddleston
- “There are no traffic jams on the extra mile.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Confidence and hard work is the best medicine to kill the disease called failure. It will make you a successful person.” – Abdul Kalam
- “A little more persistence, a little more effort and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “On any given Monday I am one sale closer and one idea away from being a millionaire.” –Larry D. Turner
- “Successful people are not gifted; they just work hard, then succeed on purpose.” – G.K. Nielson
- “It’s not about money or connections – it’s the willingness to outwork and outlearn everyone.” – Mark Cuban
- “Impossible is just an opinion.” – Paulo Coelho
- “If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.” – Jack Dixon
- “Hard work is a prison sentence only if it does not have meaning. Once it does, it becomes the kind of thing that makes you grab your wife around the waist and dance a jig.” – Malcolm Gladwell
Hard work is a prison sentence only if it does not have meaning. Once it does, it becomes the kind of thing that makes you grab your wife around the waist and dance a jig.” – Malcolm Gladwell
- “The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs… one step at a time.” – Joe Girard
- “Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses.” – Kobe Bryant
- “The greater the difficulty, the more the glory in surmounting it.” – Epicurus
- “You must tell yourself, “No matter how hard it is, or how hard it gets, I’m going to make it.” – Les Brown
- “You are your greatest asset. Put your time, effort and money into training.” – Tom Hopkins
- “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” – Beverly Sills
- “There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” – Michael Phelps, Olympic swimmer
- “The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work.” – Vince Lombardi
- “I can say the willingness to get dirty has always defined us as a nation, and it’s a hallmark of hard work and a hallmark of fun, and dirt is not the enemy.” – Mike Rowe
- “I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near.” – Margaret Thatcher
- “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
- “If something is important enough, even if the odds are against you, you should still do it.” – Elon Musk
- “Everybody wants to be famous, but nobody wants to do the work. I live by that. You grind hard so you can play hard. At the end of the day, you put all the work in, and eventually it’ll pay off. It could be in a year, it could be in 30 years. Eventually, your hard work will pay off.” – Kevin Hart
Everybody wants to be famous, but nobody wants to do the work. I live by that. You grind hard so you can play hard. At the end of the day, you put all the work in, and eventually it’ll pay off. It could be in a year, it could be in 30 years. Eventually, your hard work will pay off.” – Kevin Hart
- “The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!” – Marvin Phillip
- “If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant. If we did not sometimes taste adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.” – Josh Billings
- “If you really want something, and really work hard, and take advantage of opportunities, and never give up, you will find a way.” – Jane Goodall
- “Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day.” – Jim Rohn
- “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas Edison
Working hard is not just about putting in long hours and pushing yourself to the limit. It’s about having the determination and drive to achieve your goals, no matter how challenging they may be.
When you work hard, you are investing in yourself and your future. You are pushing past your comfort zone and constantly challenging yourself to improve and grow.
And whilst it won’t always be easy, the rewards are worth it. Never give up, stay focused, and keep pushing forward.
For more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.